Dental lasers are making their way into offices across the country, including the office of William J. Holevas in Elgin, Illinois. The word laser stands for “light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation” and we can use this technology to treat the following dental problems:
- Tooth decay- Lasers can be used to remove decay within a tooth and prepare surrounding enamel for the filling.
- Gum disease-Lasers are used to reshape gums and remove bacteria during a root canal procedure.
- Biopsy or lesion removal-A laser can be used to remove a small piece of tissue and examine it for cancer. Additionally, lasers are used to remove lesions in the mouth and relieve canker sore pain.
- Teeth whitening- Lasers speed up in-office teeth whitening procedures by activating the peroxide bleaching solution.
How Do Dental Lasers Work?
Lasers deliver energy in the form of light and when used for surgical and dental procedures it acts as a cutting instrument or a tissue vaporizer. When laser dentistry is used to cure a filling, the light will strengthen the bond between the filling and the tooth. For whitening procedures, the laser is a heat source that enhances the effect of tooth-bleaching agents.
Laser Dentistry’s Benefits
Lasers offer many benefits over the traditional dental drill, including:
- Less pain and a reduced need for anesthesia
- Reduced anxiety in patients uncomfortable with the drill
- Minimized bleeding and swelling during soft tissue treatments
- The possibility of increased healthy tooth preservation during cavity removal
Schedule Your Laser Appointment Today
Laser dentistry is a profound leap in the industry that has provided painless treatment solutions for many patients. If you want your next procedure to be completed via dental laser, contact the office of William J. Holevas D.D.S., LTD. in Elgin, Illinois at 847-742-4214.