Creating a healthy and beautiful smile begins with brushing and flossing. But you already know that. Are you aware of other actions that can improve your odds of having a healthy, gorgeous smile? Here is some additional advice:
– Avoid sports drinks. These beverages are popular, but the pH levels in them may cause erosion of the tooth enamel.
– Drink tap water. Most municipal water contains fluoride which is recommended for good oral health and drinking water is good for your whole body!
– If you have diabetes, be especially alert. Your body is more prone to infections such as gum disease. In fact, the correlation between diabetes and gum disease is now well known in the medical world.
– Avoid tobacco. It stains the teeth, among a long list of other health problems.
– Drink wine in moderation. Wine can also harm and stain tooth enamel.
– Be careful with diet pills. These can cause gum disease and tooth decay.
– Finally, take extra care of your teeth during pregnancy. Studies show a link between gum disease and low birth weight or premature babies. Also, take extra time to rinse your mouth thoroughly if you have morning sickness.
Go more in-depth on each of these points on this report from Fox News: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/02/08/7-things-that-can-ruin-your-smile/